Illionois Springfield LincolnAdd to Lightbox Download
The house, purchased by Lincoln and his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln in 1844, was the only home that Lincoln ever owned. Located at the corner of Eighth and Jackson Streets, the house contains twelve rooms spread over two floors. During the time he lived here, Lincoln was elected to the House of Representatives in 1846, and elected President in 1860.
Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln donated the family home to the State of Illinois in 1887 under the condition that it would forever be well-maintained and open to the public at no charge. The home and Lincoln Tomb, also in Springfield, were designated National Historic Landmarks on December 19, 1960, and automatically listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. The home and adjacent district became a National Historic Site on August 18, 1971  and is owned and administered by the National Park Service. As of 2010, it is the only National Park Service property in Illinois.
Along with the Lincoln Home, several other structures within the four-block area are also preserved. All the homes have been restored to their appearance during the time Lincoln lived in the neighborhood. Two of these structures, the Dean House and the Arnold House, are open to visitors and house exhibits on the life and times of Lincoln and his neighbors. In total, the buildings included in the park occupy 12 acres (49,000 m2).
- Carol Barrington DestinationPhotography.com, a division of Barrington Unlimited LLC. 225 La Costa Drive Montgomery, TX 77356 936-448-6598 firstname.lastname@example.org Registered with US Copyright Office with full metadata intact; All rights reserved. Unauthor
- Image Size
- 4980x3558 / 16.8MB
- Contained in galleries
- Abraham Lincoln